How do we respond to antisemitism?
As we reflect on last week’s attack against Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas and as we look forward to hearing the Ten Commandments chanted this Shabbat, here are TEN RESPONSES to the rise in antisemitism.
- Join the Holy Blossom community in prayer and solidarity. (Kabbalat Shabbat Service at 6 pm. Shabbat Morning at 10:30 am.)
- Light Shabbat candles and say a private prayer for the Jewish People.
- Gather safely in person and via Zoom with loved ones at the Shabbat dinner table. Discuss The Ten Commandments.
- Ask your child or grandchild about their Jewish learning in school. Read a Jewish book with them. Tell them where the family comes from and the stories of their ancestors.
- Donate to a Jewish cause.
- Attend our weekday minyan (9 am Sunday, 7:30 am and 6 pm Monday-Friday) and reconnect with fellow congregants.
- Check out CIJA.ca and their many calls to action to combat antisemitism and anti-Zionism.
- Reach out to a non-Jewish friend, relative, colleague or neighbour and tell them how the rise in antisemitism makes you feel.
- Read a Jewish Book. Access the reputable Jewish press. Tap into the endless opportunities for Jewish learning online — at Holy Blossom and beyond. (Shabbat Morning Torah Study at 9 am)
- Reach out to friends and family in Israel. Plan a trip to Israel!
(With thanks to Shaarey Zedek of Michigan for the inspiration.)