Volunteers and Refugee Assistance Needed
Holy Blossom Temple continues to actively support the resettlement of Syrian and Yazidi refugees, working collaboratively with JIAS. At this time, we are awaiting the arrival of a Yazidi family of three, a Syrian family of two, and have funds set aside to support another Yazidi family whose paperwork will be submitted in 2019.
Our original Syrian families who arrived in 2016 are all thriving as is the young Yazidi woman who arrived this past summer.
Please note that our first Syrian family is in need of orthodontic treatment for two of the boys. They reached out to UofT but learned that there is a two-year (minimum) wait list. We are looking for an orthodontist who could assist this family at a significantly reduced rate.
We now have the opportunity to assist a Rwandan family of four (children ages 9 and 12) who will be coming to Toronto via Hong Kong. We anticipate that this family will arrive any day within the next 6 months. To support their resettlement in Toronto, we are seeking volunteers to participate in (and lead) the following activities:
- Donations (furniture, household items, laptop, clothing)
- Welcome package (maps, dictionaries, treats for kids)
- Health and wellness
- Communications (arrange for phones, service and other communication needs)
- Education (assist the family with school registration, take the family to children’s assessment centre)
- Language training
- Finances (work with the family to create a monthly budget, assist family when going grocery shopping, purchasing furniture/household items for the first time, arrange for direct deposit of monthly cheques, be available to answer questions, and respond to any special circumstances/needs)
Most urgently, we have the opportunity to take possession of furniture and household goods from a two-bedroom apartment but need a storage facility before the end of December (storage will be needed until the family’s arrival and move into their own apartment). If you or someone you know is able to provide a space, please be in touch. We will also need packers and movers in December.
Please contact Jacque Friedland at [email protected] or 416-820-4741 if you are interested in assisting.