Public Health Update
With public health so much a part of our news cycle these days, I wanted to share with you the link to the Toronto Public Health website, as they post regular updates and news releases regarding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). There is no need for alarm, as according to Dr. Eileen De Villa, Medical Officer of Health, “at this time, the risk of getting COVID-19 remains low in Toronto”. But if you have any questions or concerns, please call Toronto Public Health at 416-338-7600.
That said, the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Prevention measures include the following (all of which are good practice for members of our community during flu season anyhow) :
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill
- Stay home when you are ill
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm
At Holy Blossom, our Health and Safety Committee have taken several measures to help prevent infection and promote well-being, including:
- Posting the most updated COVID-19 Fact Sheet from Toronto Public Health at our Welcome Desk
- Adding hand sanitizer stations in public spaces and within offices
- Instructing cleaners to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Fostering an environment of warm, hospitable, non-close-contact greetings (i.e., no kissing and handshaking)
We are closely monitoring the situation to ensure that we are taking the necessary steps for the health and wellbeing of all congregants, students, and community members. Thank you for your support in following the precautions outlined and for working in partnership with the Temple to keep the community healthy.