IGNITE! Tikkun Leil Chanukah: A New Festival of Jewish Culture & Learning
December 17, 6:00 pm, Hosted at Holy Blossom Temple (1950 Bathurst Street)
Jointly presented by The Holy Blossom Temple Centre for Arts and Culture, Annex Shul, Ashkenaz Foundation, Beth Tzedec Congregation, City Shul, Danforth Jewish Circle, First Narayever Congregation, Makom: Creative Downtown Judaism, Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre, Congregation Shir Libeynu, Temple Sinai Congregation, and the UJA Committee for Yiddish.
Live and online options are available!
Ignite a new tradition for Chanukah. IGNITE! opens with a community-wide Havdalah for all ages, then breaks into a choose-your-own-adventure of arts-based workshops, performances, and Jewish study sessions. The centrepiece of the program will include a hybrid live/virtual variety concert curated by the Ashkenaz Festival, in which artists from around the corner and around the world will bring us fresh musical performances inspired by the themes of the season. The program includes: Allan Merovitz, Aviva Chernick, The Barrel Boys, Finjan, Mostly Kosher, Socalled, The Rosenblatt Family (Jason, Rachel and Abby), and Toronto Klezmer Society. Kosher food for purchase.
All are welcome!
Family tickets provide access to the inter-generational communal Havdalah gathering at 6 PM and to a shorter program for families with kids ages 5-12, with light kosher dinner included, after Havdalah.
Suggested donation: Adults $20 (light kosher food for purchase at an additional cost at the event)
Family track $30 per family of 4, plus $2/additional child (includes light kosher dinner)
Teen programming will start with the community Havdalah and continue on throughout the evening. Join us for fun Chanukah activities including art, hilarious debate and movie watching. Dinner is included in the Teen Track registration fee. $18 per person (includes light kosher dinner)
SCHEDULE IN A NUTSHELL – ADULT PROGRAM – SUBJECT TO CHANGE
|5:30 PM||Doors Open|
|6:00 – 6:30 PM||Communal, Intergenerational Havdalah in the Atrium|
|6:45 – 7:45 PM||First Session Choices|
|7:45 – 8:30 PM||Snack Break in the Atrium|
|8:30 – 9:30 PM||Second Session Choices|
|9:45 – 10:45 PM||Concert hosted by Ashkenaz Festival in the Mishkan|
|11 PM – 12 AM||Third Session Choices|
- Songful communal, inter-generational Havdalah with Rabbi Yael Splansky, Cantor David Rosen, Cantor Sidney Ezer, Aaron Rotenberg, and Aviva Chernick
- Instant Choir Ensemble with Cantor David Rosen
- Song Circle with Aviva Chernick and Cantor Sidney Ezer
- Judith: Our Unsung Hero with cantorial intern Ella Martin Gladstone
- Put a Little Yiddish in Your Chanukah with Sharon Power
- Chanukah’s Biblical Backstory with Rabbi Ed Elkin
- Hands-on Hanukkah: Holiday ASL Workshop with Arthur Gunter
- Dark Room, Bright Lights: Hand-Processed Film Developing Workshop with Aaron Rotenberg
- Sacred Darkness: mystical teachings with Aaron Rotenberg
- Ask the Rabbi: panel discussion among rabbis from different denominations
- Table Drumming and Chanting with Rabbi Aaron Levy
- Blanket Tying Workshop for Ve’ahavta with Alan Gotlib and Sybil Berk
- Click here for full descriptions of program offerings