Position: Director of Community Engagement
Reports to: Executive Director and Senior Rabbi
Holy Blossom Temple. Life can blossom here. Come and grow with us!
Holy Blossom Temple, Toronto’s first synagogue, is a leading Canadian Reform Jewish congregation with a rich history of responding to both tradition and modernity in our religious and spiritual expression. We pursue meaningful opportunities for personal growth and family fulfillment at every stage of life through belonging, learning, prayer and ritual, and acts of service for our congregation and community, our city and country, the Reform Movement, Israel, and all the world.
We are a vibrant congregation in which all of our members, old and new, can connect through participation in Temple life. We come together to learn, pray, have fun, share in each other’s joys and sorrows, reach out to one another in support and compassion, and create lasting and meaningful memories.
Read about some of the things we’re doing here: www.holyblossom.org
The Director of Community Engagement will be an integral part of the leadership team at Holy Blossom Temple (HBT), ultimately responsible for all member acquisition and retention strategies, member relations programs and operations. In addition to working with the lay and professional leadership to ensure all events and programs are successful. In this role you will be responsible for:
- Membership Acquisition
Drives new member acquisition, including meeting or exceeding growth goals (net) for new members and retaining existing members.
- Develops and operationalizes acquisition strategies. Identifies and follows-up on prospective members and other opportunities to increase membership and converts prospects to members
- Works collaboratively with communication resources and drives frequent/regular community, web and social media communications and engagement.
- Being the face of HBT to prospective members.
2. Membership Engagement and Retention
Increases member connection and commitment to HBT programs and services and ensures the member experience is consistent, integrated and aligned to HBT goals for member experience and engagement. This includes:
- Develops and operationalizes retention strategies, including volunteer engagement.
- Gathering data and provide insight and analysis about member satisfaction, engagement, and retention and interests to ensure that they are connected to programs, services, and other members in ways that meet their needs.
- Collaborating regularly with HBT lay and professional leadership, to ensure that the member experience is consistent, integrated and aligned with member needs.
- Overseeing new member orientation and integration to ensure effective onboarding. Collaborating with clergy & program teams to ensure a seamless transition based on member-specific interests
3. HBT Community Development
Responsible for supporting and driving member engagement in communities and interests within HBT
- Individually and programmatically help members find groups that meet their interests.
- Create a web to connect congregants – creating community engagement through building existing and new groupings within the Temple community including chavurot.
- Professional leader for the volunteer teams
- Online community development (working closely with communications director)
- Outreach to other organizations in the Toronto Jewish “eco-system” to find partnership opportunities
Core Leadership Competencies:
- Values – Puts in place best practices that reflect the values of the organization. Creates an environment that reinforces trust, mutual respect, and a service orientation. Models HBT’s values when dealing with individuals and organizations in the community.
- Inclusion – Promotes to others the value of diversity of thought and the importance of being an inclusive and welcoming organization.
- Relationships – Collaborate with and build relationships that enhance the HBT’s ability to impact the community. Effectively represents department interests while building positive, constructive relationships with others.
- Communications – superior verbal and written skills. Shares ideas and presents information informally in ways that positively impact others.
- Decision Making – Integrates multiple thinking processes and strategies to function effectively. Anticipate where challenges and obstacles are, and create plans and strategies accordingly.
- Change Capacity – Manages implementation of change by understanding and addressing the impact of change on cultures, systems, and people.
- Financial Acumen – Analyzes financial data in order to make comparisons, draw conclusions, and make decisions.
Required Skills & Experience:
- BA/BS in Business, Marketing or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three or more years of Member Acquisition experience in a relationship-driven environment
- Ability to quickly build rapport and develop effective relationships with prospective members and congregants.
- Knowledge of community engagement and/or social media strategies to drive acquisition and retention
- Consistently self-driven and goal-oriented with the ability to set effective team and individual goals and take ownership for results
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and adapt to changing contexts and priorities
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills with the ability to identify and leverage relevant data to use in planning and decision-making.
- Ability to understand, adapt to and interact with diverse people, teams, perspectives and cultures
- Proficient in using email, Internet, and other PC-based applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, customer service/tracking applications) with the ability to learn and adapt to new technology.
- You have a sizeable portfolio of ‘Difficult problems… solved’
- Team player
- Entrepreneurial creative, self-starting excited about achieving the goals
- Great communicator, with warmth, tact and discretion highly required
- Deep commitment to contributing to the growth, renewal and transformation of Holy Blossom Temple and the broader Jewish community
- You have experience leading through transition and change
- You have created scalable systems
- You have a proven track record of working collaboratively across the organization
- Holy Blossom Temple is a best in class organization
- Exceptional lay leadership and professionals
- We are a community that is driven to lead in the Toronto and Canadian Jewish community
- We live our inclusive spirit as a sacred community that is always striving to create the finest expression of a Reform Jewish way of life.
- General office environment.
- Regular attendance expected at temple events including but not limited to worship, education, and social action
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Deadline for applications: February 25, 2016
Please send applications to: [email protected]