For the week of June 1, 2015.
Now that our demolition crew have excavated to the bottom of the new elevator pit, work has begun to “shore-up” (or underpin) the walls on the lower level. Also, walls on each of the second and third floors of the School Wing have been removed to make way for the new elevator’s doors.
At the same time, the men’s washroom on the lower level has been demolished and our plumbers are now rearranging the pipes and fixtures to create new ladies’ and men’s washrooms in that area. Soon, our contractors will cut through the north wall of the Philip Smith Congregational Hall to allow access to these washrooms. Simultaneously, the floor in the north-east corner of the School Wing is being removed to enable the staircase to be extended down to the lower level into the former coat room.
Don’t forget that all of this preparatory work is being undertaken to allow daily Temple life to remain on-site at 1950 Bathurst Street throughout Phase 1 construction. We do appreciate your enthusiastic support (and ongoing flexibility!) during the construction process as we try our best to keep disruption to a minimum. Please continue to follow our daily progress in pictures and video on the Renewal tab of the Temple’s website and on our Holy Blossom Temple Facebook page.