Your Questions Answered
FAQ’S for Youth Education Centre 2015-2016
- JK- Grade 1- 2 hours for Judaic Studies education; Sundays 9:30-11:30 AM
- Grades 2-5; 2 hours as above and 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the Hebrew language option chosen (Sunday or Wednesday).
- Senior School – Grades 6-10 Mondays 6:30-8:30 PM.
- Havaya – Grades 8-10 Core and/or elective options; community service hours given
- Bagrut – Grades 11-12 Once a month; Community service hours given
We have looked at curriculum very carefully throughout the school and significantly in JK-Grade 5. The scope of learning and the sequence at each grade level has been continuously updated by our educators, to reflect our new programme structure.
Yes, we will be offering programming for all children in JK – Grade 1 who are in terested in additional programming from 11:30 am-12:30 pm. It is called KEF (fun in Hebrew). The information is on line. Go to: http://www.holyblossom.org/2015/07/holy-blossom-temples-kef-2015-2016/ . There is a cost for this extra programming. The program for that hour will include activities such as cooking, lego building, Super Science, Whims, and more.
- The small class will be at HBT and will be a minimum of 8 students;
- The mini-group can be at HBT or at someone’s home and will be for a small group of 4-5 students who are able to work in the same group. Not necessarily all the same grade.
- The 1:1 tutoring is just that – a teacher and student at HBT or at home
Cost is also different between the groups.
- Convenience & flexibility
- Mini groups or 1:1 will offer more attention for your student
- In general classes will be smaller – better for making more consistent social groups
Yes, Project Tikvah is for our students with learning challenges. Parent should contact Debbie or Dalia for more information and assessment.
We want to encourage families to join us for Shabbat (either Friday night or Shabbat day). We have selected 6 dates for you to choose at least 3. Shabbat is a special time for all, especially when spent with your family and community.
- We will be re-vamping curriculum from Grade 6-10. Each year we change it up a bit to better meet the needs of our students.
- Grade 6 students will continue to have Hebrew language and a core class. Trips include a class retreat, and a visit to the National Council of Jewish Women Passover food packaging project.
- Grade 7 students will have a variety of activities, including a class retreat and a number of field trips in Toronto.
- Grade 8-10 classes will participate in our “Havaya” Students have many opportunities for classes – core and electives, volunteer options, participation with our younger students and much more. Trips are planned for each grade: Grade 8 to Cincinnati, Grade 9 to Washington DC, and Grade 10-12 to Israel.
- Grades 11-12 will participate in Bagrut which includes a once a month program of study with the rabbi, as well as many opportunities for participation in Temple in a variety of ways – volunteering with students in younger grades, mentoring teens, participation in Temple activities, and more.