with “The Minor Prophets”
Friday, February 10, 2017
- 6:00 p.m. Service with community support from Jewish Music Week in Toronto
The Minor Prophets will rock our Shabbat Service followed by dinner (reservations required).
- Concert Ko Amar (Thus saith the Lord)
A prophetic experience – the “Minor Prophets Live”.
In 2004 (or maybe 2005) a revelation came upon rabbinical student and aspiring musician Joel Simon that he needed to form a band, and not just any band, but a band of prophetic proportions that can take Jewish texts and prayers and make them loud. The spirit led Simon to fellow students Michael Satz, Micah Streiffer, Scott Simon, and Micah Lapidus, and the Minor Prophets were born. They begin to rock out in a condemned student dorm on the campus of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Cincinnati, OH, and oh did those dilapidated halls rock.
This outfit of two guitars, bass, and drums (and sometimes keyboard) created a grass roots following of Jewish rock devotees through their live shows opening for the Jewish music legends of Rabbi Joe Black and Rick Recht, and a college tour of Indiana University and Earlham College, and other places (especially around Cincinnati). They also recorded one album called “Koh Amar . . . The Minor Prophets” which some people consider a collector’s item.
The Holy Blossom reunion might just well be the start of their world tour!
The three original Minor Prophets who will be performing are:
- Rabbi Joel Simon (vocals and rhythm guitar), Senior Rabbi of Shir Ami of Bucks County, PA
- Rabbi Scott Segal (drums), Director of Lifelong Learning at Shir Hadash in Wheeling, IL
- Rabbi Michael Satz (lead guitar), Associate Rabbi at Holy Blossom Temple in Toronto, ON